Watch Leo Grow

Welcome friends and family! I've created this blog so that you can all watch our Little Man grow. The honest truth is that I'm quite crap at e-mailing, so in this way, it's up to you to come visit our virtual home. I, of course, will try to keep it updated with the latest news and pics of Leo.

Friday, September 08, 2006

What Mummy did next….

Well since having Leo, I haven’t bounced back into shape as quickly as I first hoped…so to get me motivated I’ve entered a rather challenging event for next year. Not being as heroic as my Ironman husband. I’ve settled for a ½ Ironman instead. I’ve entered Switzerland Half Ironman, or 70.3 as it’s now known. This will take place on the 3 June 2007. For good measure, Bronson will be racing too, even though this will seem like a walk in the park.

This will involve a 1.9km swim, followed by a 90km bike and then just for good measure, a 21.1km run. The swim will be no problem, the bike will be a bit of a challenge but it’s the run that will be positively scary. I’ve never run further than about 8 miles in one go, that’s not even 13km.

In case you’re wondering, my dad will probably be travelling out from SA to look after the little man while we race. My good friend Sharon will be racing too, so we plan to travel out and share accommodation with Sharon and her better half Martin. The Race takes place in Jona.

The reason why I chose Switzerland is because A it’s really pretty (race takes place on the shores of Lake Zurich), and B it’s a flattish course so not too challenging for a first go at the longer distance.

I won’t be boring you with endless details of my training, but it may crop up in future posts. I’m planning on doing at least 2 half marathons before June, just to get that distance into the old legs. Knees willing of course.

As for the bike…well that’s going to be a bit of a challenge especially once the cold weather sets in. It’s easy running in the cold, as you can stick to the roads that are well lit (remember it’s dark by 4:00pm during the winter months) and you warm up quickly while running but biking becomes positively hazardous on the wet, frozen roads. And with the wind-chill factor, it’s really freezing on that bike. It’s takes all sorts of will power to get up and drag yourself out in the cold.

Also I’ll want to do most of my training in the evenings after 7pm when Leo is tucked up in bed, or on weekends, I’ll have to set off really early so I don’t waste precious family time.

So all in all, a real challenge….

Watch this space….

And for good measure, some pics of Leo
Should be sleeping.....


Crawling in the park....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yip, those winter miles are loooong and cold. This is going to be one big challenge for both of us.

Come the wkend all we want to do is spend time with our little big lion king.

I must say that I am one obsessed, possessed father and I have 14kg extra weight to prove it!!! Since Leo has come along and after 1/2 IM Monaco 2005 I haven’t done much.

I have used the excuse of work travels but to be honest I am so content and happy with our little family that I have been enjoying the finer pleasures of good foreign beer and Aberdeen beef burgers.

I am sure you have heard this one before BUT as from Monday I am back on track...

Love to all

Daddy Bronson

8:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home